Marinated Zucchini, Spring Onions & Corn Bread Galette with Cashew Mascarpone & Sprinkle
How are you? I have had a great week since I last wrote. We managed to get away on a quick camping trip, which was incredibly relaxing despite getting caught in a hail storm, the walk we had planned on being closed, tree cutters at the camp ground for hours on the first afternoon and people doing paving for 6 hours with noisy machinery on the second day. Absolutely hysterical and we still managed to love so much of our two days away, the hours when it was quiet, the lovely wildlife and the moon shining through the trees. I sleep so much better when camping.
So here is the relaxed Veet bringing you this blog post starting off with the Cooking School News first before sharing with you the delicious corn bread galette recipe. Am I a tease or what?
Veet’s Vegan Cooking School News
Back now and refreshed and rejuvenated and all excited about the launch of the online course I have put together. Right now we are waiting for the editing of the filming and everything being put together on the online course platform.
So exciting and be sure to sign up to the upcoming course newsletter so you don’t miss out on being one of the first to hear about the course and receive a considerable discount. The course will be launched to people on the newsletter for a week before anyone else gets access to it. Don’t miss out.
For people who are following Facebook I am doing daily Facebook lives at 2:10 (NSW Australian time) with a handy helpful cooking and food tip. If you miss them Mak is uploading them to my new beaut YouTube channel so you get the opportunity to watch them there too.
Ok let’s get on with the recipe that is enough news the rest can wait until next week.
This is a lovely simple recipe that actually looks like it could be difficult to make but isn’t. It is inspired by Hetty Mckinnon’s book Family.
I think it leans well to a whole range of other toppings. Please share with me which toppings you think you would like to make it with.
Have a great week everyone and please share this recipe with everyone you know.
Marinated Zucchini, Spring Onions & Corn bread Galette with Cashew Mascarpone & Sprinkle
For those of you who don’t know what a galette is – it is a posh sounding name for a pie that you can’t mess up.
You will need to make the pastry and marinate the zucchini a few hours before cooking.
For the pastry
1¼ cups gluten free flour
½ cup maize flour
1 tsp salt
½ cup vegan butter
½ cup cold water
For the mascarpone
1½ cups cashews soaked for 6 hours
Juice 1 large lemon
1 tsp salt
¼ cup water
For the Zucchini
2 medium zucchini
1 tbsp za’atar seasoning (you can buy this from the shops and I do teach how to make it in the online course- woo hoo)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cracked pepper
6 leaves of Swiss chard or 3 leaves of Silverbeet shredded finely
½ cup chopped spring onions
For the sprinkle
- For the pastry place the flours and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter, add the water and mix with your hand until it forms a ball. Make into a square flat shape and cover and pop in the fridge for a few hours.
- Marinate the zucchini with the za’atar, salt and black pepper and put in the fridge for a few hours.
- In a frying pan add a little splash of olive oil and fry up the Swiss chard, spring onions and fry until wilted. Set aside.
- To make the mascarpone place everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the pastry mixture on a piece of baking parchment and roll out. As you are rolling the pastry will crack, piece this together with your fingers. Roll until you have a 1.5cm thickness and make an edge with the outside of the pastry. I did this by folding bits of the edge of the pastry in. Place parchment and the pastry on a baking tray.
- Spread on all of the mascarpone and pile on the zucchini.
- Place in a 180°C oven for 20 minutes. Turn the pastry around and bake for a further 15 minutes then add on the cooked chard and spring onion and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle with the sprinkle of your choice.
# If you make this recipe please share on facebook or instagram to #veetsvegancookingschool
Tags:Swiss Chard Spring onions Corn zucchini