The Best Gluten Free Gnocchi
This is week four of my new schedule where I post a recipe request or a recipe someone in the vegan cooking courses has developed.
A couple of Vegan Foundation Cooking Courses ago the lovely Jayne and Wendy made a delicious sweet potato gnocchi and I promised them I would develop a good gluten free gnocchi recipe to share with them when I got a spare moment.
Well the spare moment came last week and these gnocchi were so good I wanted to share them in my blog posts. I used regular potato. In a gluten free gnocchi recipe it is easier to work with regular potato as it has starch in it which helps the gluten free flours stick together better.
You can choose to use maize (corn) flour or besan flour. I chose besan flour as it has a cheesy, nutty flavour. This recipe is easy. I chose to make them square shaped but you can make them whatever shape you like.
Serve the gnocchi with your favourite pasta sauce. This is my favourite pasta sauce recipe
Gluten Free Gnocchi
1 cup besan flour
1 cup tapioca flour plus a bit to dust the gnocchi in
½ tsp salt plus ½ tsp salt to cook the potatoes in plus 1 tsp salt for the boiling water
- Wash the potatoes well then cut into 4 pieces leaving the skin on. Place in a saucepan and cover with filtered water and add ½ tsp salt.
- Once the potatoes are cooked either cool down, remove skin and then mash or place the potatoes while hot in a potato ricer and mash that way.
- Mix the mashed potato with ½ tsp salt, the besan flour and the tapioca flour.
- Bring the mixture together to form a dough. If it looks too dry add a tsp of water.
- Break the dough into 4 pieces and roll into 2cm logs. Then cut the logs into 2 cm pieces. Either flatten with a form or drag the fork around the gnocchi pieces to make lines. If you do this the gnocchi will be more rounded.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil with 1 tsp of salt.
- Place 6 to 8 gnocchi in the boiling water at a time and cook until they float to the top. Usually takes less than 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon remove the gnocchi from the water and add in the next lot of gnocchi.
# If you make this recipe please share on facebook or instagram to #veetsvegancookingschool
The Documentary Which Everyone is Talking About
It certainly has plenty of people changing their game. It is incredibly well done and easy to understand information with the support of doctors and scientific research. It’s one of those must watch movies. I highly recommend it. You can view it on Netflix.
Have a great week everyone
Tags:Pasta Gluten Free